Sworn Police, Police Civilian, Public Safety Officer, Peace Officer/Special Constable, Student, Other Federal, Provincial, and Municipal Employees
Length: 30 minutes
Content Provider: Content for this course was provided by the Canadian Police College.
Developed by the Toronto Police Service, Items of Religious Significance: Sikh Religion will enhance officer awareness about the Sikh religion and the items associated with that faith. In addition to reviewing the five Ks (the Kesh, Kanga, Kara, Kachera, and the Kirpan) and how each of those items should be handled when encountered, this course will explore the role of women in the Sikh faith and the protocols that should be observed when entering a place of worship.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Describe the Sikh religious requirements relating to the five Ks
- List, describe and explain the five Ks (the Kesh, Kanga, Kara, Kachera, and the Kirpan) and how to handle them
- Describe the status of women in the Sikh faith
- Describe and explain how to deal with important objects such as places/areas of worship in the Sikh faith
- Summarize rules and procedures relating to items of religious significance
- Explain how to best deal with an arrest involving a person practicing the Sikh religion