Basic Security Training (BST) – Ontario is a comprehensive training course for individuals seeking to enter this industry. It is designed to increase knowledge about the daily duties and responsibilities of a security professional and build the confidence needed to meet the challenges of the workplace.
Delivered in seven parts, this course is equivalent to 32.5 hours of classroom instruction. It covers the following learning areas:
- Part I: Introduction to the Security Industry (40 minutes)
- Part II: The Canadian Legal System (1.5 hours)
- Part III: Basic Security Patrol Procedures (2.5 hours)
- Part IV: Communication (1.5 hours)
- Part V: Documentation and Evidence (1.5 hours)
- Part VI: Emergency Response Procedures (1.5 hours)
- Part VII: Health and Safety (1 hour)
This training course does not include 7.5-hour WSIB approved First Aid Training.
This course is designed for individuals who are pursuing a career in Ontario’s private security industry. It may also serve as a useful refresher for experienced professionals. This course is accredited by the Province of Ontario Public Safety Ministry.
How do I write my Provincial Exam?
To write your exam, you must first complete:
- Security Guard Training Course with Professional Security Knowledge Network (PSKN)
- Emergency and Standard First Aid (Click Here for Approved Providers of Emergency and Standard First Aid|WSIB)
Once you complete your training requirements, login to your PSKN training account and upload the following documents to your “Personal Desktop”:
- Certificate of completion by approved Emergency and Standard First Aid training
- Signed and completed Consent and Release of Liability Form Regarding Training (Click Here for CRLF – Ontario Form)
Please email email@example.com when you have uploaded your documents.
Within 5 days of completing the steps above, you will receive an email from Serco Canada with steps to book your exam using your Training Completion Number (TCN).
Ontario Security License Exam:
- 60 multiple-choice questions based on the training materials in the course
- 62% passing grade
- The cost of each attempt is $66.50 +HST (Paid to Serco Canada)
How do I apply for my Security Guard License?
To apply for your Ontario Security Guard License you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Have a clean Criminal Record
- Complete Approved Training Course
- *Complete Level A First Aid Training Course (Click Here for Approved Providers of Emergency and Standard First Aid|WSIB)
- Pass Mandatory Provincial Exam
* PSKN does not currently offer the required Emergency and Standard First Aid Training Course.
To learn more on how to apply for your Security Guard License please visit ServiceOntario.
Basic Security Training Ontario, is just $99.00
Still Have Questions?
Feel free to contact our support desk!