Private investigation is a diverse profession requiring a broad range of knowledge and skills. During the course of a career, a private investigator will work in many different areas: from insurance fraud and corporate crime to missing persons and executive protection. In every case, a private investigator must be equipped with basic skills and strategies to ensure effective outcomes for clients.
Introduction to Private Investigation – Alberta is a comprehensive training course for individuals seeking to obtain the essential knowledge and skills necessary to enter this industry. This course was adapted from content created by the Professional Investigators’ Association of British Columbia under the direction of the Registrar of the Alberta Ministry of Justice and Solicitor General Security Programs. It will meet all legislated knowledge-based learning requirements for individuals seeking a private investigator’s security license in the Province of Alberta.
This program is accredited (under SSIA Course Accreditation #AT000407) by the Alberta Ministry of Justice and Solicitor General as meeting the training requirements specified in the Security Services and Investigators Act.
Delivered in four modules, this online course is equivalent to 60 hours of classroom instruction and covers the following learning areas:
- Part I: Licensing, Liability and Safety (2.5 hours)
- Part II: Legal (5.5 hours)
- Part III: Basic Tools of the Trade (7.5 hours)
- Part IV: Technological Aids (4.5 hours)
Full course description and learning objectives
This course is designed for individuals who are preparing to obtain a Private Investigator's license in Alberta. It may also serve as a useful refresher for experienced investigators. Furthermore, this course will be of value to anyone in a career where investigation is an essential skill, including security, public safety, wildlife and fisheries conservation, environmental investigation, human resources, litigation support, social services, and other government ministries that conduct investigations.
$400 - This includes the cost of one Provincial Licensing Exam
Provincial Licensing Exam Information
eProctor Canada is a convenient way to write your exam from the comfort of your own home. You will be supervised remotely by a trained and approved proctor all while saving on time and money of traveling to an in-person exam.
Visit How to book your Exam, and follow the easy steps!
Important Details About Exam Day
- You have one hour to complete 42 multiple choice questions. The passing grade is 80%
- The Exam is delivered online by eProctor Canada and you will need your Professional Security Knowledge Network login information to access the exam.
- The cost of one exam is included in the price of your course registration. Re-write cost is $100 plus tax.
- Once you have written the exam, our team will send your exam results (pass or fail) to the Alberta Registrar. This information is a required component of the licensing application process.
How do I apply for my Private Investigator License?
Upon successful completion of the Provincial Exam, you will be mailed your License Exam Certificate from the Alberta Solicitor General’s Office within 1-3 weeks. This will be required in order to apply for your Private Investigator License. To apply please visit the Alberta Security Department Website: Security licences and permits | Alberta.ca
- You must be over 18 years old
- You must be eligible to work in Canada
- You must be fluent in English
- You must have no criminal record
- You must have no outstanding criminal charges
- You must not be the subject of a criminal investigation
Please note: Professional Security Knowledge Network is not involved in the licensing application or approval process.
Introduction to Private Investigation-Alberta, is just $400 - This includes the cost of one Provincial Licensing Exam
Still Have Questions?
Feel free to contact our support desk!